HISTORY and MISSION
KSAN was established in 1993 when area residents grow concerned about development and growth pressures from Kelowna’s inner city and the purchase of many homes for the expansion of Kelowna General Hospital.
A registered non-profit society was created with a constitution and bylaws. Our mandate is to maintain and improve the quality of life for residents and to preserve and promote the historic character of the older neighbourhoods. The KSAN Board meets monthly to discuss common issues and concerns and decide how to address them. Meeting are open to residents.
KSAN has actively participated in many initiatives aimed at growing our community responsibly while maintaining the character and quality of life of residents.
Recent Initiatives include:
- Advocating with the City of Kelowna and KGH to create a Parking Plan for the area around Kelowna General Hospital – recently adopted by the City of Kelowna
- Quarterly meeting with KGH Chief Administrator to identify and address community impacts
- Member of the community panel for City of Kelowna Infill-Challenge
- Heritage sign project; over 60 signs installed describing historical information for home of residents who have contributed to the formation of Kelowna (see below)
- New initiative to encourage tree protection for Kelowna
Over the past 24 year, KSAN has been a strong voice for neighbourhood preservation and enhancement by:
- Monitoring reasoning applications and responding where potential negative impacts exist
- Monitoring and responding to negative impacts caused by KGH and other major developments
- Monitoring crime and safety issued including the impact of the homeless population on our neighbourhood
- Supporting Neighbourhood Watch
- Advocating for safe and healthy spaces for walking, biking and public transit
- Promoting healthy neighbourhoods
If you reside within our boundary area and are interested in maintaining and improving the quality of life in your neighbourhood, we encourage you to join KSAN. Development pressures will continue and we need a strong voice to represent the interests of area residents. Please complete the Membership Form KSAN membership form 1 and send it to either the mailing or email address below. Thank you.
Mailing address: KSAN c/o Knowles House, 865 Bernard Ave, Kelowna, BC, B1Y 6P6
Email address: email@example.com